The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is in charge of ensuring that the food industry in India maintains a high standard. The Food Business Operators (FBO) must follow the FSSAI’s laws and regulations. To conduct business in India, any FBO must have a valid food license granted by the FSSAI. Any FBO that fails to present its FSSAI License document during an inspection will be punished, and the business may be shut down. Certain documents are required when applying for an FSSAI food license, and the process can be completed quickly via the FSSAI’s official website.
What are the different kinds of FSSAI food licenses?
FSSAI licenses are further divided into two categories: state licenses and central licenses.
- An FSSAI state license is available to FBOs with an annual turnover of between RS. 12 lakhs and RS. 20 crores. Food licensure is required for all-grain, cereal, and pulse milling units, regardless of turnover. FBOs with annual sales of more than RS. 20 crores and operations in two or more states should apply for an FSSAI central license.
- An FSSAI central license is required for food businesses that fall under Schedule 1 of the FSS (Licensing and Registration of Food Businesses) Regulations, 2011.
Operating food companies in the Indian Railways and Konkan Railways requires an FSSAI food license.
What are the requirements for FSSAI Food Licensing?
The following documents must be submitted to the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) through the FSSAI portal in order to obtain a food license.
- Form-B, duly completed and signed by the proprietor
- Layout or blueprint of a business site
- Directors’ contact information
- A full list of the equipment and machinery that will be used is provided.
- The proprietor’s photo ID
- The food category in which the company plans to operate Rental agreement or lease documents are examples of proof of possession of a property.
- Affidavit of proprietorship in a partnership The responsible person’s authority letter should include his name and address.
- NOC as well as a copy of the manufacturer’s license. A food safety management system plan or certificate.
Aside from the documentation listed above, the FBO may be required to present paperwork particular to the type of company he does. The particular paperwork requirements can be found on the FSSAI’s official website.
What is the process for obtaining an online food license?
FBOs must apply for food licenses online using the Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) on the official FSSAI website. The following easy procedures can be followed by FBOs to complete the food license process.
- When applying for FSSAI food licensing, fill out Form B completely and send it to the authorities together with the appropriate documents and costs.
- The FBO is given a Unique Application Reference Number after submitting the application, which will be required for the food licensing login.
- In the event that any information is lacking, the FBO is confronted with the situation and asked to furnish the necessary data.
- The FSSAI assigns the FBO a unique application ID.
- The FSSAI state license takes 15-20 days to complete, whereas the FSSAI central license can take up to 30-45 days to complete.
FBOs can monitor the status of their application by going to the FSSAI’s official website and inputting their food licensing login number in the “Track Application Status” area.
What fees must be paid in order to obtain a food license?
The fees for the FSSAI Central and State licenses, as well as the fees for the FSSAI licenses of Indian and Konkan Railways, are listed here.
FSSAI Central License Fee Structure
- The FSSAI Central license costs RS. 7500 each year to renew.
- A price of RS. 7500 is charged for any change to an FSSAI Central license (per modification).
- A duplicate copy of the FSSAI Central license costs 10% of the Applicable License Fee.
For a maximum of 5 years, an FSSAI Central license can be given or renewed.
FSSAI State License Fee Structure
- The cost of a new FSSAI State license varies from Rs. 2000 to Rs. 5000 each year, depending on the type of food business.
- The cost of renewing an FSSAI state license is determined by the number of years chosen.
- A one-year fee is charged for any alteration of an FSSAI State license (per modification).
- The cost of obtaining a duplicate copy of the FSSAI State license is 10% of the applicable license charge.
Fee Structure Of FSSAI Railway Food License
- The fees for a new FSSAI Railway food license are RS. 2000 (per year).
- The fees of renewal of the FSSAI Railway food license depend on the number of years selected.
- The fees for any modification of an FSSAI Railway food license are the fees of one year (per modification).
- The fee for a duplicate copy of the FSSAI Railway food license is 10% of the Applicable License Fee.
What happens if you don’t pay?
Because having an FSSAI license is required, any Food Business Operator who does not have one may face penalties. FBOs can be fined between Rs. 1 lakh and Rs. 10 lakh under the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006, and they can even be imprisoned. The severity of the penalty and punishment is determined by the nature of the offense. The FSSAI has the authority to revoke the license and close the business. Food business owners must obtain an FSSAI food license and renew it on a regular basis. It will assist FBOs in meeting statutory requirements as well as gaining access to additional benefits. FBOs selling items with the FSSAI logo gain public trust because their products have passed a quality check conducted by the FSSAI. FBOs with an FSSAI license has the ability to develop their business and can obtain loans and funding to do so. FBOs have the option of applying for food licenses online or enlisting the services of an online consultant. Online food licensing advisors can assist with both the application and renewal of the license.
Akshat is a third year law student , with a core interest in Corporate Laws . Passionate about learning different skills and his favorite guilty pleasure is Binge-watching web series .